By Daisy Carrington, for CNN
(CNN) — A mysterious, circular structure, with a diameter greater than the length of a Boeing 747 jet, has been discovered submerged about 30 feet (9 meters) underneath the Sea of Galilee in Israel.
Scientists first made the discovery by accident in 2003 using sonar to survey the bottom of the lake but published their findings only recently.
“We just bumped into it,” recalls Shmuel Marco, a geophysicist from Tel Aviv University who worked on the project. “Usually the bottom of the lake is quite smooth. We were surprised to find a large mound. Initially we didn’t realize the importance of this but we consulted with a couple of archaeologists, and they said it looked like an unusually large Bronze Age statue.”
The structure is comprised of basalt rocks, arranged in the shape of a cone. It measures 230 feet (70 meters) at the base of the structure, is 32 feet (10 meters) tall, and weighs an estimated 60,000 tons. It is twice the size of the ancient stone circle at Stonehenge in England.
Read more: http://www.cnn.com/
- Sea of Galilee Reveals Mysterious Underwater Ancient Mound (greenprophet.com)
- ‘Monumental’ mystery under Sea of Galilee (wnd.com)
- Image Gallery: Stone Structure Hidden Under Sea of Galilee (livescience.com)
- Mysterious structure discovered beneath Sea of Galilee (sott.net)
- Mysterious Stone Structure Discovered Beneath Sea of Galilee (news.yahoo.com)